Friday, January 05, 2007

Went skiing!

On the last day of Christmas break, we went skiing as a family... something that we've been talking about doing for the past couple years!

Even as we were heading out the door to Red Lodge Mountain in Montana... I was hesitant to picture myself on skis! Hey, I was a kid last time!!!

So, hubby, I and little man who is 9... we all took 1 1/2 lessons. Older son Matthew took off to the beginner slope (Miami Beach).

Before long little man was snow plowing his way down the beginner slope while I was still on the bunny trail practice my turns.

After lunch, my hubby decided that skiing just was NOT his thing. So I waited for my boys by the chair lift up to the beginner slope chair lift. (I wasn't brave enough to hop on by myself!)

After a long...while, along came my 12 year old... who's been several times skiing on school outings. He took off up the chair ride without me. Eventually little man came along.

He expertly guided thru the machine where you insert your ski lift ticket. The two of us get on the chair lift... as we went up and up (I'm mildly afraid of heights!)... he starts...
"Now mommy, don't look down... don't look up... don't drop your skis!
Mommy, you're going to fall off the lift when you get off!
Mommy, maybe the lady will slow the ride down for you...."

Well, I'm happy to report that I didn't fall down when I got off the chair AND... that the lady did slow down for me!

Oh my goodness was it beautiful at the top of the slope (Miami Beach). I beheld breathe-taking views of the mountain ranges all around. Just spectacular.

I slowly snow plowed my way down the mountain... practicing my turning.... till I thought that I would die!!! I had NO IDEA how much energy and exhersion it took to go down hill skiing!

It was a fun day!! Would love to go back again... as soon as my body stops hurting! LOL!

No comments: